Monday, November 13, 2006

Jumpstart GO!

I had a great lunch today in the City with my co-worker Kaylin and an internship candidate, Roshanna. Kaylin and I fielded Roshanna's questions, sharing our firm's great success stories and reasons why Baylor Company should be her No. 1 choice in recruiting(!) As our lunch conversation progressed, Roshanna asked an innocent question: what did we like to do in our spare time?

Kaylin answered first:

- she loves to cook and dine at all the best restaurants

- she visits Napa to go wine tasting

and when she has time:

- she travels around the world to visit friends and family.

All very good answers. All the while I thought of my own probable response..."Have you ever heard of a game called World of Warcraft???" A very poor answer, indeed.

Roshanna then posed the question to yours truly; I started to answer when Kaylin interrupted: "Nathan LOVES to write!" Almost paralyzed by embarassment, I could only smile and say it USED to be one of my favorite hobbies. Writing...was something I gave up a while ago.

"But NATHAN!" Kaylin spoke, "I LOVE your writing!" She then related to Roshanna a few of my stories from our college days...we laughed, I cried...and again, I found myself speechless and embarassed and happy. I haven't written anything in so long, but it felt GOOD to hear that at someone enjoyed my previous "work."

I finished my meal and escorted Roshanna back to the office for the rest of her interviews. I felt really good about our lunch: I felt like I got the jumpstart I needed to give writing another try. And I have a complete stranger (and Kaylin) to thank. Inspiration comes from the darndest places, doesn't it?