the lone wanderer

I hadn't seen Kyle in over a year, and so was excited to catch up with him over dinner. Once at Fuzio's, he asked me a simple question.
"So, now that you're done travelling, are you trying to meet people again?"
"Yeah. I'm trying to, you know, put myself out there."
"Ok. What have you been doing to meet people?"
"The usual," I started, "Clubs. Bars. Things like that."
"Really?" he said, with a hint of disappointment in his voice. "That doesn't sound like it's working."
"Hey," I answered defensively, "it's hard to meet people after college. Where else are you supposed to go, honestly?"
"Well, let me ask you this. Do you really think you're going to meet someone special at a bar?
He had a point. Going out rarely showed results, for me anyway.
Kyle continued, "Look. What I'm saying is that your going out every couple of weeks is not enough. You think it's all about luck, but it's not. It's about effort. You have to have resolve. If you're determined to meet someone, then come up with a better plan. Try new things. Put yourself in new situations. Get outside of your comfort zone. You have to try or else you're not giving yourself a real chance."
I had heard this logic many times before, from many other people. And yet, something finally clicked. I was hoping that my luck would change, unknowingly shortchanging myself in the process. Grinning sheepishly, I nodded my head in agreement.
Kyle continued to share stories with me...one about his co-worker who spent 2 hours every day on Facebook, scouting potential targets. Another about someone who signed up for a class for the sole reason of meeting someone new. The more he shared, the more I realized that the possibilities were endless...all that was left was for me to get back out there and take a leap of faith.
-------------------------------------
...as a bonus, I decided to include the lyrics to a song that's been kicking around my head all day....
Somewhere by The Tymes
Somewhere my love waits for me.
Somewhere beyond the sky and sea.
Somewhere I'll see her and my heart will know
This is the face that I love so.
I hear her voice everywhere
Even in dreams she is there.
I'll search forever 'till the day I die
And somewhere, someday I'll find my love somewhere.
Somewhere I'll see her and my heart will know
This is the face that I love so.
I hear her voice everywhere
Even in dreams she is there.
I'll search forever 'till the day I die
And somewhere, someday I'll find my love somewhere.

<< Home