mayhem at the ski lifts
[Wednesday, 1:07 P.M.] I dug my snowboard deep into the snow and caught up to John, Jane and her boyfriend Tom at the lodge. I was frustrated; I spent the entire morning falling all over the mountain, only occasionally catching up to my friends before losing them further down the slopes.
As I started into my pulled pork sandwich, I thought about what I was doing wrong - too much digging in with my heels, not enough carving, not picking up enough speed. I was holding my friends back and having trouble staying on my feet. My ego was shot - it was only Jane's fourth time skiing, and yet she was tearing up the slopes like a seasoned pro. "It's all mental", I told myself, "I've been doing this for years...this is cake!" By the time we had finished lunch, I was thumping my chest, excited about proving myself and ready to go!
[1:30 P.M.] We lined up at the ski lift, waiting our turn. My friends promised to slow down for me, but I told them that wouldn't be necessary - all the kinks had been worked out. I was eager to start the afternoon right and glued a fat cheesy smile of Confidence to my face. As the chairs came around to scoop up the people in front of us, my attention was inexplicably drawn to my board. We were the next ones to go, when I leaned over just a bit to look down at my stomp pad. John then shouted,
"Hey Nathan, LOOK OUT!!!"
!!!!!!! BAM !!!!!!!
The ski lift had come around and COLLIDED WITH MY HEAD, knocking me flat onto my back. I laid there prostrate for a few seconds, helpless, before my friends helped me back onto my feet. Embarassed, I tried to play it off and waved to the operators reassuringly, "It's okay, everyone, I'm okay!"
Nonetheless, they stopped the lift, and I was ushered to the side by the lift operators. A medic was summoned and we waited for them to check me out for a concussion. Furious with myself and sorry for my friends, I urged my friends to go on ahead.
"Guys, please, just leave me. I'll be fine."
They wouldn't listen, and I grudgingly accepted their help. Tom gave me some water to drink, while Jane kindly placed a hand-made snowball on the growing lump on my head. I told them again and again to go ahead, but they refused to listen. I felt miserable and wanted badly to call it a day.
While we waited, a set of skiers got onto the ski lift. They rode for a few seconds and then collectively FELL OFF, sending their skis and poles in all directions. It was hysterically funny. Once again, the operators had to stop the lift and escort the hapless skiers to the side. We all had a good laugh at their expense...it was a moment that I was glad to share with my friends.
A few moments later, the medic finally arrived and checked me out.
"Do you feel nauseous?"
No.
"Do you feel tingling in any of your limbs?"
Hmm. No.
"Alright then. Here's a Tylenol. Are you ready to join your friends?"
As I started into my pulled pork sandwich, I thought about what I was doing wrong - too much digging in with my heels, not enough carving, not picking up enough speed. I was holding my friends back and having trouble staying on my feet. My ego was shot - it was only Jane's fourth time skiing, and yet she was tearing up the slopes like a seasoned pro. "It's all mental", I told myself, "I've been doing this for years...this is cake!" By the time we had finished lunch, I was thumping my chest, excited about proving myself and ready to go!
[1:30 P.M.] We lined up at the ski lift, waiting our turn. My friends promised to slow down for me, but I told them that wouldn't be necessary - all the kinks had been worked out. I was eager to start the afternoon right and glued a fat cheesy smile of Confidence to my face. As the chairs came around to scoop up the people in front of us, my attention was inexplicably drawn to my board. We were the next ones to go, when I leaned over just a bit to look down at my stomp pad. John then shouted,
"Hey Nathan, LOOK OUT!!!"
!!!!!!! BAM !!!!!!!
The ski lift had come around and COLLIDED WITH MY HEAD, knocking me flat onto my back. I laid there prostrate for a few seconds, helpless, before my friends helped me back onto my feet. Embarassed, I tried to play it off and waved to the operators reassuringly, "It's okay, everyone, I'm okay!"
Nonetheless, they stopped the lift, and I was ushered to the side by the lift operators. A medic was summoned and we waited for them to check me out for a concussion. Furious with myself and sorry for my friends, I urged my friends to go on ahead.
"Guys, please, just leave me. I'll be fine."
They wouldn't listen, and I grudgingly accepted their help. Tom gave me some water to drink, while Jane kindly placed a hand-made snowball on the growing lump on my head. I told them again and again to go ahead, but they refused to listen. I felt miserable and wanted badly to call it a day.
While we waited, a set of skiers got onto the ski lift. They rode for a few seconds and then collectively FELL OFF, sending their skis and poles in all directions. It was hysterically funny. Once again, the operators had to stop the lift and escort the hapless skiers to the side. We all had a good laugh at their expense...it was a moment that I was glad to share with my friends.
A few moments later, the medic finally arrived and checked me out.
"Do you feel nauseous?"
No.
"Do you feel tingling in any of your limbs?"
Hmm. No.
"Alright then. Here's a Tylenol. Are you ready to join your friends?"

<< Home